Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Driving Lessons and High on the Mountain Top

Good day, ma'ams and sirs!

It's the beginning of another transfer for the Staines Zone Leaders, and you know what that means? Stress and craziness. The first week involves loads of planning and counseling and coordinating and discussing and it's so much to do! I wasn't aware of how much zone leaders did until now...so I'm just trying to be more organised. Fortunately, my comp is always on top of things and is always there to keep me afloat! So it was quite the week.

The good stuff:
-taught a Pakistani family
-taught a Muslim family
-almost taught a Portuguese family
-awesome sacrament meeting
-special MLC
-had my first ever driving lesson
-got new sisters in the district
-lived more dreams

This week I mingled with people from more different countries than I can count! I think I've officially taught somebody from every single country...almost at least. We taught Sharooz and his family (from Pakistan) and they fed us a huge dinner! I was so full I could barely speak afterwards. We taught them the Restoration again and they just ate it up--especially the kids, surprisingly! They have a 14 year old who is dying to come to church with us. So cool! Then I had my first driving lesson with a man from India. He kept asking me questions about the church so I got to teach him the Restoration as we drove. We are finding more success with the foreign citizens rather than the English for some reason.

We had the most interesting sacrament meeting of all time. I wish you could've been there. You would have been blown away! It was presided by a Canadian, conducted by a Brazilian, with talks by people from Scotland, Ireland, Sri Lanka, and Fiji, with music provided by a South African (the chorister) and an American (myself) at the piano. It was surely the most diverse sacrament meeting ever! I'm fascinated by this because I just think it shows us how widespread the church really is. The gospel has literally spread like wildfire. And all this stemming from a young man who wanted to know the truth! Seeing strong members from all over the world really broadens your perspective. The church is strong and is growing at a tremendous rate.

Although this week has been difficult, it was topped off with a massive surprise. We had a "special" MLC yesterday. Everybody was speculating as to why it was special, but we soon found out why! After announcements, it was announced that we were all going to the mountaintop (hilltop here in England...they don't really have mountains here) for a spiritual activity. So we all excitedly drove to a place called Boxhill, which is in a gorgeous part of the English countryside with a great view overlooking the humble town of Dorkey. We gathered to hear President and his assistants teach us about the miracles that occurred during the first harvest in this land. Heber C. Kimball, Orson Hyde and a few others were called to Britain to teach the gospel. When they arrived in England, they saw a random sign that said "truth will prevail" and thought that was pretty fitting for the beginning of their ministry. Although they faced loads of rejection from actual demons, they were victorious in accomplishing God's will because they had great faith and would not give up. Thousands joined the church when they heard about the restored gospel, and many of them moved to American to settle with the saints. At one point, 80% of the church was English--they upheld the church during a time of trial for the church's leaders. Knowing that God doesn't change lets me know that God still wants things like this to happen. My ancestors are from this land, and I am repaying them for the trek that they made to allow me to have access to the gospel. This ground was dedicated long ago by Jesus's original apostles for the preaching of the gospel, and I'm so blessed to be able to work here. Now is the time for the second  harvest, and we are going to get a baptism before Elder Senkāns goes home...don't know how, but it's going to happen! Truth will prevail. I know it will! In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love you all!

#truthwillprevail

Love, Elder Thomas

ELSM


The country

High on the hilltop

Truth will prevail!

No comments:

Post a Comment