Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Mother's Day and Superman

Hey guys!

This week's been faster than a missionary trying to get home before 9:30 pm...pretty dang quick! I can't get over how fast time is going by. Sometimes I pray that time will just stop for a while, but those prayers are never answered, unfortunately. And with the 4th and final Skype over and done with, I think it's safe to say that this is the final stretch!

Here's to week 80 something of the mish:
-took a nasty spill on my bike and ripped my trousers
-ate like kings!
-skyped home!
-got flogged...a lot
-did some solid member work

It's been a special week. We never have much to eat at our flat, and since England left the EU things have been getting even more expensive, especially in Jersey! But this week we devised an awesome plan to fix the problem: a dinner calendar! We sent that bad boy around during church on Sunday and as a result we got fed nearly everyday this week. When there's a will, there's a way!

As we were contacting one day, I heard a voice call out to us in a familiar accent. We turned around to meet a lady who asked if we were Mormon missionaries. She said that she was a member from California here just for a visit by herself. Elder Ferreira and I were a bit confused when we heard that because nobody from the states comes to visit Jersey...at least not alone! Her name is Megan and she came to Jersey on a mission to find and meet an actor called Henry Caville (I think that's his name...?) who is Superman in the Man of Steel. Apparently he's from Jersey and he's been here for a week or so to do a 13k run for charity. So Megan began training 7 months ago, signed up for the race, and saved up enough money to come over here and find him. She caught up to him in the race, but then got nervous and passed him. She ended up talking to him at the finish line though, but I guess the conversation didn't go so well because she was a bit shakey. They say Superman is faster than a speeding bullet, so I just think it's cool that she can say she's beat Superman in a race! She also bought us dinner at a really nice hotel last night. Too bad she didn't bring the California weather with her...it's pouring today!

Got a call from the police. They told me that the guy who attacked me a couple weeks ago went to court and got sentenced to 6 weeks in jail.

Gary, our baptismal date, is planning to come to church this Sunday. We were able to get another less active to church as well!

The highlight of the week was speaking to my family over Skype, hands down! Hope all of you moms out there had a happy Mothers' Day. I miss my mom a lot. Without her, I don't think I would've been able to come on a mission and even if I had, I wouldn't still be on one. I owe all that I have and all that I am to my mom! Nothing comes closer to emulating the Saviour's love than the love a mother has for her children.

Over the course of my mission, I've met a lot of different people each with their own perspective of life. Each has their own experiences and background which shape them into who they are. Many have their own idea of who God is. But not many understand the concept of pure joy or where to find it. Most of the people we speak to have the "eat drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die" approach, more commonly known as "YOLO" (you only live once). While this lifestyle may provide what the individual thinks thinks is happiness, it is only momentary and temporary and will not last long. At some point in time, this individual will realize that there is something missing in his/her life and either sinks into depression or begins to search for greater meaning and purpose. My mission has opened my eyes and made me eternally grateful for the knowledge we have as members of the Lord's restored church. Because of the Restoration of the Gospel, we know who we are and what we're capable of. We know where true happiness comes from. I believe that lasting joy can really only be found by keeping the commandments of Jesus Christ. He is our Teacher, as well as our Saviour. I'm grateful for his example and sacrifice and I know He is the way.

Have a good one, you guys! Do great things and be great things!

Love, Elder Thomas

ELSM



Pre-feast selfie

The district plus Megan


Jersey Gang, roll out!

4th and final Skype!

No comments:

Post a Comment